A western Sydney brothel that operated during the statewide lockdown has been shuttered.
A brothel in Sydney’s west has been shut down after police busted the business operating despite the citywide lockdown.
Employees and clients at the Royal Asian Brothel had earlier been fined $12,500 after police were called to the business in Rydalmere last week following a call to Crime Stoppers about a possible breach.
Police said they spoke with the 57-year-old female owner before finding three female employees, aged 31, 36 and 56, inside.
Two male clients, aged 56 and 57, were also inside the premises and none were wearing masks, according to police.
Police said they all denied that the business was operating, with one man claiming he was providing a quote for paint works. The other said he was visiting his girlfriend.
Detectives later confirmed the business had been operating, NSW Police said in a statement.
The venue has since been shut down.
An official notice was published on the NSW government website.
Police Commissioner Mick Fuller signed off on the order on September 1, prohibiting the venue from operating because public health measures had not been followed.
“The risk to public health arising from this non-compliance is sufficient to prohibit access to the premises in order to protect public health,” the recommendation read.
The business would shut down until the end of October.
Each of the people involved were fined for not wearing masks and breaching curfew, excluding the 36-year-old woman, who was living at the property.
The owner was also fined $5000.
Officers told the group to go home, but police allege the 31-year-old woman tried to return to the brothel a short time later.
She was arrested and charged with not complying with curfew in an area of concern and not wearing a fitted face covering in the indoor area of common property.
The Strathfield woman was granted conditional bail and will front court in October.
Originally published as Royal Asian Brothel in western Sydney shut down after Covid breach